Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Words

I am going to pull no punches in this post. Because I am angry. And I am disgusted.

Today I read this post on Barefoot Foodie, and my head wanted to implode.

How is this possible? How is it possible that somebody feels that they can spew their venom onto somebody they have never seen before? How?

And more importantly, why?

What about us is so broken we feel that we are entitled to break others, or entiled to burden others with our words?

Because we can break others. With the most destructive weapon of all- our words.

Words have power. They have weight. They are something we all must carry- the words that have been thrust upon us.

And maybe I am more sensitive than most, because I have been abused. I have been bullied.

And you are going to say- let it go.

And I would love to. I would love to release those words. But I can't. And I make no excuses for it. I am simply not somebody who can shake off what others say about me.

I am not the only one either.

Are you one of these people? One who hurts for the sake of hurting? One who delights in the tears of others? If so, you sicken me.

Think about it. Think about the words you have said in anger. Or in malice. Or to see somebody cry. Think about your venomous tendencies. Think about how you have taken something broken and bloodied in your own mind and pushed it onto somebody else to make you feel better.

How dare you?

Do you not realize that the things you say are weighted? That the person you say them to carries them always? Words do not disappear. They transfer. They break hearts. They cause pain. And they injure. Forever.

Am I naive to think that people can be kind? Should be kind? Yes. Maybe I am. Or maybe my viewpoint is one that reaches farther and deeper, one that know I will have to answer for everything I have said or done.

I will answer for gossip.

I will answer for words that injure others.

I will answer for the pain I cause.

I will answer for it all.

Everything I have given to anyone else, good or bad, I will have to face.

If you are somebody who carries destruction in your words, somebody who hurls lies and hurt onto others with your mouth, you need to know something.

The power you think this gives you is false. The fleeting moment of seeing your hurt register in somebody else's eyes is a lie. Your words are bullets, taking down anyone in their path.

You are only a coward, hiding behind words.

I urge you to claim the power of your mouth. To keep it for the things of God- love, kindness, mercy and praise. To utilize this amazing instrument God has given us to uplift and pray for those you would normally insult.

And if not, I pray you will be mute and not injure.

Job 27:4
my lips will not say anything wicked, and my tongue will not utter lies.

Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Isaiah 51:16
I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand— I who set the heavens in place, who laid the foundations of the earth, and who say to Zion, ‘You are my people.’”