Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fed up

I'm hopping onto my soapbox.

This oughta be good, huh?

Listen. This image has been in my newsfeed on facebook at least 6 times. And each time, it makes me more angry.






Why? It's just a mom breastfeeding. Right?

Wrong.

It's conformation to those who think breastfeeding should be controversial. Or hidden. Or not talked about.

Because the image is shocking. And provocative. And wrenching.

All of which, I must say, breastfeeding is NOT.

Breastfeeding is sacred. It is a gift given to us by our creator. It is what our breasts were designed to do- nourish our children. Feed our babies. THAT'S why they exist.

Not to make us look good, or to make men stare, or to be ogled. Although I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I mean a lamp can be beautiful in the daylight and still give light at night. Right?

Okay, maybe that was a bad example. I confused myself. The lamp is the breast. And breasts are beautiful. And useful. Oh gosh. Okay, I'm sure you can figure it out. Oy.

Anywho, tangent much?

So, as I was saying. This cover. This image. It is, simply, jarring.

I don't know of anyone who has their child stand on a chair to nurse. It is MUCH more comfy to lay down and snuggle while nursing a toddler, or to sit on the couch and watch Dr Phil. Or to read People in peace. Gosh I miss nursing.

Nursing a baby is an act of love. It is warm and loving and primal. It is an act committed by mothers every moment of everyday. In the comfort of home, in public, in the dead of night.

But it is not a spectacle. And publishing an image like this makes it one. And that is doing a disservice to every mother who goes to extremes to nurse discreetly, and to the ones that proudly offer nourishment anywhere at anytime. This act is not to be used to sell magazines, or to create discussion.

Just as cooking is not controversial, or bottle feeding, or giving a hungry kiddo an apple, breastfeeding should not be.

It is, simply, the act of nourishing with love.

Shame on you, Time magazine, for making it any more than that.