Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Brave

Today I had two really profound experiences. One was with Emily, my dear friend, who out of the blue today turned to me and said "I am always so comforted when I walk into a room and you are there."

Now I could have simply said "Oh thank you! You are so sweet!". But that was the old me. Instead I looked her in the eyes and said "I love you Em. Thank you for telling me that." and then I hugged her. And we both got teary. And it was good teary. Comforting.

I am not used to being loved like this. But I feel like God really knew what he was doing when He chose Emily to come into my life. She is honest, nurturing, caring, and thoughtful. The things she says stick with me. She's not afraid to say the things that other's don't. She has taught me to be the same- to put myself out there.

I was at Wal-Mart this afternoon, shopping for produce. Lily was in the cart, looking incredibly adorable as always, and an older lady walked by. Lily reached out and touched her arm. The woman stopped and chatted with her. They said hello, they shook hands, Lily gave her the grocery list, she gave it back, Lily blew her around 3000 kisses and we went on about our buisness. About 2 minutes later the woman rounded the corner again. She had tears in her eyes and her voice was shaking. She said- "I just need to tell you this. I lost my mom 2 weeks ago. She just loved little babies." her voice broke, and I held her arm "I really feel like my mother sent your daughter to me, because she knew I would notice her, and she just sent me such joy and love and kisses through her."

I was, of course, crying.

And then I decided to be brave. I wrapped my arms around a total stranger and gave her a hug. I didn't even have to say anything. I felt her pain. It is the same pain, whether you are 18 or 80. We parted with a quick goodbye, but I will never forget that moment...ever.

So here it is. The house is quiet. The day is nearly done. I have time to reflect. And what I think is this- two women taught me alot about bravery today. Two women taught me a deeply profound lesson about who I want to be. I want to be brave...I want to say what matters. I want to say the things that open people up. I want to let those I care about know that they are important to me.

I want to say the things people will always remember.

Thanks, Em.