Monday, August 25, 2008

Free the West Memphis 3

I've been following the case of the West Memphis 3 since seeing Paradise Lost (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117293/) in 1998 while randomly flipping through channels. I remember the feeling of horror, the feeling of sadness, and the feeling of disgust I had while watching these three young men being charged for a murder they obviously didn't commit. This documentary and the case it outlines is staggering in it's magnitude.

Then along came Paradise Lost 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0239894/), and I literally watched it with a sick twisted feeling in my gut. I didn't think the witch hunt, the injustice, and the corruption could get worse, but it did.

I am no expert on forensics. I am no expert on murder. But in the case, you don't have to be. Three little boys were brutally slain in the woods that day, but 6 people were victimized. The ultimate horror of this is that whomever took those little boys lives is still out there, free.

I am a firm believer that knowledge is power. The more people who know about this case, the more chance there is of the authorities sitting up and taking notice. There is to be a new hearing on evidence in September. If you aren't familiar with the situation, please take a look around this website:

http://www.wm3.org/live/thewm3/index.php

If you are so inspired, there is a directive here to send a postcard to the governor of AK. The thought is to simply keep the flow of postcards coming, letting this man know the world is watching the outcome of this case.

Thanks.