Sunday, March 15, 2009

For better or for worse...

Yes, I'm talking about married life.

It's what little girls sometimes dream about...the big white wedding, prince charming, and living life with romance and adoration.

YEAH RIGHT!!!

Marraige is tough. It is bumpy. It is work.

But my oh my is it worth it when you have the right one. The one who makes you laugh. The one who understands your wierdness and semi tolerates it. The one who curls your toes and makes you go soft.

The one.

I was married before. It was definitely not right. It was a rash decision in a lifetime of chaos. He was the only person to say he would never leave me. I beleived him. I was a fool.

But he paved the way for Mark. He opened the door for the one I was always intended to know. No, it wasn't easy. We contended with family and cultural hurdles. We fought. We prayed together for God to break us up if that was what we should do. It didn't happen. We couldn't be apart.

I am not well aquainted with love. I am still learning as I go. I certainly don't have it all figured out, but I do know one thing- love is holding on, even when it is easier to let go. That's what it comes down to. That's what the union is about- steadfastness, committment, and tolerance.

I know alot of married people. I can't name one of them who has the roses and champagne marraige that we were taught as little girls to look forward to. But I do know what I DO have.

I have a husband who hands me a warm clean towel when I get out of the shower.

I have a man who rubs my feet, rubs my head, and is affectionate.

I have a man who tolerates my anger and temper.

I have a husband who cooks for me, who shares household chores.

I have a husband who adores his child and is a wonderful father.

I have a man who held my hand while the doctor told us our baby was gone, and who held me together in the weeks afterward.

I have a man who pays the bills, puts food on the table and provides everything we need.

I have a man who prays with me.

(I also have a man who farts in bed, smells questionable sometimes, can be distant, and is somewhat messy. Just keeping it real.)

Love isn't about the big things- its about a million small things. It's about love. It's about looking forward together. It's about taking on the world as a team.

I am beyond grateful that I have such a wonderful teammate.

Mark, thanks for sharing it all with me. Thank you for not giving up.

You complete me, Jarry McGuire style.