Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Amazing...



Breastfeeding is a topic that is very close to my heart. I intended to breastfeed Lily for 6 months...mainly because I didn't want to pay for formula. She only weaned (by force) this October.

I cannot explain the love I had for my body when I was nursing my baby. To be able to produce the perfect nutrition for my child was a constant amazement to me. Every single time I nursed I thanked God for the ability to do so. It was a miracle I got to experience every single day.

In the days since losing baby J, I have felt such a strong urge to nurse Lily that I have actually attempted to do so twice. Yes, I know I have no milk. Yes, I know she doesn't need it anymore. But my maternal longing is so strong that nursing seemed a healthy outlet.

I cannot imagine having to look down at my child who is hungry and NOT be able to nourish her. It is a feeling women in Africa experience everyday. This video touched me so deeply. To give a child who is not of your body your milk is generosity at it's deepest. That is true sisterhood, and realizing we as mothers are all connected..whether on the plains of Africa, or here in America.